Varsity Head Coach Lance Ramer
Lance Ramer (3rd year) is completely invested in the Maclay Community as the Football Coach, Middle School Dean of Students, Math Teacher and Asst. Athletic Director. His love of academics and athletics started when he was in elementary school playing football, basketball and baseball. Coach Ramer was an All-Section and All-County player at Suffern High School in New York. He then went onto to play 4 years of football and 2 years of baseball at the University of Rochester in upstate New York. During his college career, Coach Ramer amassed many honors including 1st Team All-American. He earned All-League honors three times and was named to three All-American teams as a senior. He finished his career in the top 5 of virtually every defensive category, including career leader in sacks (29), yards from sacks (215), yards from tackles for loss (246), fumbles recovered (9). Coach Ramer totaled 365 career tackles, including a record breaking 156 as a senior, good for #3 in the Country. He then went onto play professional football in the AFL and CIFL for the Rochester Brigade and NY/NJ Revolution.
Coach Ramer’s college career ended with earning some prestigious awards as the UR Most Outstanding Male Athlete through Athletic and Campus Achievement and the Lysle Garnish Award winner for Academic and Athletic Achievement. Coach takes tremendous pride in his athletic accomplishments, but he understands the importance of being the best Student-Athlete you can be and in that order.
Coach Ramer has been equally as driven off the playing field as a coach, starting when his collegiate days were over as he was the Linebackers Coach for the U of R Yellow jackets in 2001. He then went onto work at Blair Academy, a boarding school in New Jersey. While there he was the Assistant Head Coach in both football and baseball. In 2003, the Blair Football Team earned top honors as the best Prep Program in New Jersey. In 2004, Coach Ramer went to work at Montclair Kimberley Academy where he stayed until 2012. While at MKA he was the Defensive Coordinator and then he got his first Head Coaching position in 2008. In four short years he helped take a program from 2-3 wins/season to the State Semifinals where they eventually lost to the State Champion. The 2011 team earned the most victories (9) in school history.
In 2012, Coach Ramer moved his career to Riverdale Country School where he took over a Football Program that was in need of rebuilding, something that Coach is clearly passionate about. During his last season at Riverdale, the team went 6-3, the most wins in a season in the last 10 years. While at Riverdale, he Coached the #1 Rated Jr. RB in New York (’15). He also helped coach the career leader in total yards (6,000) and touchdowns (53). This young man is now a WR at Harvard. Overall, Coach Ramer has helped former players attend and play football at many universities, including Michigan, Duke, Harvard, Cornell, Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon and many more.
Having been a Head Coach since the age of 29, Coach Ramer is now in his 11th season as a Head Football Coach. As a complete educator, he is most proud of helping young men reach their full potential, both on and off the field. His enthusiasm and dedication to his craft as a leader, has helped him earn recognition as a Conference Coach of the Year Finalist, and Assistant Coach in the New Jersey North-South All-Star game.
Coach Ramer holds two master degrees with an M.A. in Coaching and Athletic Administration (2016) and an M.Ed. In Educational Leadership (2010). He is also certified through USA Football as a Player Safety Coach. He understands the importance of keeping the game safe for all players and the key is proper fundamentals and technique. In April, 2016 he Co-Directed a workshop for NYS Educators on Cultivating Leadership in and out of the Classroom. He has taught a variety of Math classes, and in addition created a course while at Riverdale titled Psychology for Peak Performance.
Coach Ramer lives the motto of the players don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. He is dedicated to helping put Maclay Football on the map. He understands the process of building a program at an independent school where he has helped turnaround the two aforementioned programs, but he is destined to help bring Maclay to new heights, both on and off the field.
Coach Ramer married his college sweetheart Kristin where they met in Calculus in 1998 and were married in 2007 on Seneca Lake in Upstate NY. They have 2 boys, Landon (6, 1st grade) and Grant (4, Pre-K 4). Kristin is the Director of Clinical Research at TMH while also currently pursuing her MBA at FSU and the boys…well they are just being boys!
Varsity Coach Mark Williams
• 30th year coaching high school football.
• Played football for the University of Richmond.
• Moved to Tallahassee in 1992, taught and coached football at Lincoln HS where he was a part of the school’s first two state championship teams and a state runner up.
• This is Coach Williams’ 4th year with the Marauder football program.
• Coach Williams and his wife have 4 children and one grandchild.
Varsity Coach Matt Williams
• Lincoln High School Graduate 2011.
• Played Quarterback from 2007-2010.
• Studying at Tallahassee Community College/Education Major.
• Basketball Coach at Deerlake Middle School.
• 2nd year Coaching at Maclay QB, WR, RB, DB.
Varsity Coach Josh Cooper
• Nationally recognized political consultant and a world champion BBQ pit master.
• Prior to going into politics and television, Cooper was a two time all southern conference free safety at Furman University.
• Played his high school ball in Ohio, was a four year varsity starting QB and free safety at Indian Hill High School.
• Moved his business and family to Tallahassee shortly after the election of his client Rick Scott to the Governor’s office. Cooper’s four children (Jake, Tessa, Kensie and Evie) all attend Maclay.
Varsity Coach Hermans Paul
• Played high school football in South Florida area at Immokalee High.
• Graduated from Florida State University.
• Former Florida State University defensive back 15-17.
• Orange Bowl and Independence Bowl champ.
• First year as an official coach, Coaching the WRs/DBs.
• Helped many kids earn full ride scholarships to study and to play at the next level.
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Al Perruzzi
• Graduate of Herkimer High School in Herkimer NY 1990.
• Tallahassee Associate in Arts Degree 1992.
• Florida State University Bachelors in Science Criminology Degree 1995.
• Been at Maclay school coaching since 2000.
• Boys Weightlifting Coach
• Track and Field Coach for throwers.
• Head strength and conditioning Coach for all sports since 2004.